Here are the Cheapest Ways to Watch New Movies this Summer
July 13, 2019 by Angie Long
During the summertime is when some of the most anticipated hit movies are released. And considering the fact that we're already in the middle of a blockbuster summer movie season, there are lots of great films to choose from. But going to a movie isn't cheap, as it can easily cost a family of four over $50 just for the tickets, and even more in some major cities. Once you factor in concessions, that price easily doubles.
If you're considering heading to the movies but don't want to spend a small fortune, here are our tips for the cheapest ways to watch new movies this summer.
How to Find Cheap Movie Tickets
- Always try to see a matinee instead of a nighttime film. You can easily shave a few dollars off of each ticket price by doing so, depending on the theater.
- See if one of your local theaters has a designated discount day. Some major theater chains offer tickets for as low as $5 on their slowest day of the week in order to get people in the door. This is typically either a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Consider a subscription to FandangoNOW. The on-demand service offers movies straight out of the theater before they're made available on subscription streaming services. For example, you can watch Dumbo for a rental fee of just $5.99. If you would rather see a movie in the theaters, try Fandango VIP for special discounts and perks. These FandangoNow promo codes will help you save extra:
Ongoing OfferNo Promo Code Needed. Click "Get Offer" To Activate This Deal. Exclusions May Apply
- Buy discount movie passes. Some theaters offer a 10-pack of tickets, for example, for a relatively low price. However, be mindful to check the small print, as some can only be used on specified days. Double-check before you purchase any passes.
- If you belong to AAA or Costco, get the most out of your membership by checking whether you can get discounted tickets for a theater chain near you.
- Check out MoviePass. MoviePass works with over 90% of theaters across the country and allows current subscribers to see one new movie per day for only $9.95 per month. Once you sign up, you get a card in the mail that acts like a debit card you use to buy your tickets. Be aware that they're updating their app for a few weeks this summer, but once it is made available again, you can save quite a bit. Try these MoviePass discount codes with your purchase to save extra:
Ongoing OfferClick "Show Coupon Code" To Activate This Deal. Exclusions May Apply
- Wait for it to come out on DVD (or digital copy) as a new release. Even if it costs $24.99, it may be cheaper than going to the theater considering the cost of tickets and concessions. And you'll be able to rewatch it anytime!
- Check it out at the library! Sure it might take a little longer for a new release to hit the library shelves, but the library is a great resource for seeing movies that have been recently released onto DVD, and it is absolutely free.
As you can see, you don't have to set yourself back financially in order to see some of the summer's best new movies. If you prefer the whole experience of heading to the theater, it will obviously cost more than if you were to watch it at home on-demand, but the tips mentioned above can help ensure you avoid paying full price. Be sure to check CouponCause regularly for exclusive discounts and promo codes as well.