How Charities in a Major US City Near You Are Giving Back This Year
December 5, 2018 by Aubrey Meister
The holidays are a great time to give back to your community and to help others. There are charity events all over the US at this time of the year so finding one to support this holiday is really no trouble at all. Plus, you'll be helping those in new while also finding a great event to attend. Where's the trouble there?
Here is a list of US charity events this holiday to get you started! Note that all event times match the city's time zone. If you're looking for a specific charity to donate to, we recommend one of our featured causes.
United States Holiday Charity Events
- Breakfast with Saint Nicholas: At this event, the African American experience is highlighted in the Christmas festivities. Bring your children for a fun breakfast with Santa at 9:00 AM or 11:30 AM on Saturday, December 15th. The proceeds go to the Go Beyond Your Knowledge, which works to build self-esteem in children in the community.
- 15th Toy Party and Silent Auction: Attend a fun event and benefit For the Kid in All of Us at the same time. This toy party will be held at Opera Atlanta on Sunday, December 16th from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM. You'll have access to entertainment, food, and drinks with your ticket.
- An EPiC Gala: The EPiC Gala is scheduled for Saturday, December 15th from 6:30 PM until 11:00 PM. It's held at the AC Hotel Buckhead in Atlanta. There will be dancing, dining, live music, and raffles. The EPiC Gala a formal black-tie event so dress accordingly. A portion of the proceeds will go toward families in need in Atlanta.
- Craft Drafts for a Cause: On Monday, December 10th, from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, you can enjoy craft beer at Vice District Brewing while raising money for Growing Home. This organization supports urban farming and job training with a goal of increasing food access. You can buy tickets online ahead of time for $15, which will also give you two drink tickets.
- Deck the Paws: This shopping event is scheduled for Sunday, December 16th and begins at 1:00 PM. You can shop at the Maison Atia pop-up shop, which features luxury faux fur products, while enjoying tasty treats and drinks. You may buy package reservations online ahead of time. A portion of the proceeds will go to Paws Chicago, which works to save homeless pets.
- N. Finite Hands Charity 4th Annual Joy of Giving: This event is held at Martin Luther King High School in Chicago. You can choose between the Pack and Wrap event on Friday, December 21st or the Joy of Giving on Saturday, December 22nd--or you can do both! Donations raised from this event will help provide meals, clothing, and more to over 300 families in the community. It's a free event.
- 'Twas One Night: If you're looking for a night of dancing and cocktails, this is the perfect charity event for you to attend. It will be held at the Alley Theatre in Houston on Saturday, December 15 from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Funds will be raised for One Goal Houston, which supports hardworking and underprivileged high school students so that they can go to college. Cocktail attire is required.
- The Ballroom at Bayou Place New Year's Eve Charity Ball: The charity ball in Houston is a great place to ring in the New Year. It starts at 7:30 PM on New Year's Eve with an open bar, live music and dancing, and food. The proceeds from the event will go to a number of charities in the Houston area. The dress code includes suit and tie cocktail attire.
- The 8th Annual Cover the Night Event: The Midtown Art Center is hosting its 8th annual event to raise awareness for the homeless community in Houston. The event is scheduled for Friday, December 28th from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. You will be treated to a variety of artistic talents from Houston's local scene. Donations of umbrellas, clothing, toiletries, and shoes are requested.
- 10th Annual Christmas Care Exchange/Brunch with Santa: This event is put together by the Special Needs Network, which serves families in underserved communities. It is being held at Wayfinder Family Services in Los Angeles, California on Saturday, December 22nd, from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. This fun event includes brunch, games, music, a toy giveaway, and information about the Special Needs Network! Registration is required.
- 4th Annual SLIG Charitable Foundation's Holiday Gala: The gala is scheduled for Sunday, December 16th from 6:00 PM until midnight, located at Exchange L.A. in Downtown Los Angeles. All of the proceeds from the event and tickets, which can be purchased online, will go to the Alzheimer's San Diego Foundation.
- Rock for a Better World: This is a great event supporting an even greater cause. At Rock for a Better World, you will get to enjoy live music and delicious food, while raising money for Music for Relief's California Wildfire Fund. The event is held at Busby's East in Los Angeles, California on Saturday, December 8th. It begins at 7:00 PM. A $20 donation is required, but any other donations are appreciated!
- LNC Annual Holiday Toy Drive: On Monday, December 17th, from 6:00 PM until midnight, you can enjoy food and drinks in support of a good cause. This toy drive is being held at the Copacabana Times Square. To enter, you simply need to bring a new, unwrapped toy or book to donate to the HISPA Role Model Program.
- Ride to Remember: The Ride to Remember event will be held at Flywheel Sports NoMad on Saturday, December 15th from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM. The class is limited to 48 riders so be sure to register in advance. The event proceeds go to the Alzheimer's Association.
- 2018 Holiday Party and Toy Drive: Come enjoy a holiday party and provide holiday gifts to the less fortunate. On Tuesday, December 11th from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, you can bring an unwrapped toy to McGettigan's in New York. The Marines will donate these toys to children in the community as Christmas gifts.
- The Nice List: The Nice List is a holiday event on Friday, December 21st from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. It's held at Aloft Philadelphia Downtown. There will be an open bar, light snacks, and a DJ. Please bring along a new or gently used children's coat to donate!
- Beer and Bingo: If you love beer and bingo, why not spend an evening with both? This event is at the Lutheran Settlement House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Thursday, December 13th. It begins at 6:00 PM and ends at 8:00 PM. It's a fundraising opportunity for the Lutheran Settlement House, which helps families who are experiencing food insecurity, homelessness, or abuse.
- Feast of the Seven Fishes: On Sunday, December 16th, the Vegan Commissary will host their Feast of the Seven Fishes at Du Jour Cafe in Philadelphia. It's scheduled from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM and you'll receive a tasty, seven-course plant-based meal. A portion of the proceeds will go toward the East Passyunk Community Center, which hosts a variety of low-cost or free programs for its community members.
- Grateful for the Holidays Charity Party: The Change Your Stars Foundation is hosting this special party on Friday, December 14th, 6:00 PM-10:00 PM. The Change Your Stars Foundation works with charities that specialize in caring for impoverished youth. This event includes food, drinks, live entertainment, and a silent auction. It will be held at Grateful Offices, which is on the 31st floor of the US Bank Building in Phoenix, Arizona.
- 10th Annual Veterans Remembrance & Wreath Laying Ceremony: Here is an opportunity for you to pay homage to the veterans and honor their service. This event will be held at the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona on Saturday, December 15th at 10 AM. During this event, wreaths will be placed to honor fallen veterans and current veterans in attendance will also be honored. You may sponsor a wreath if you would like to, but it's not required to attend.
- White Christmas Gala: Enjoy a night of dining and dancing at the Gold Room at the Arizona Biltmore. This event is held on Saturday, December 8th and begins at 6:30 PM. The event is an opportunity to raise money for Ryan House, which provides healthcare for families who are in desperate need, free of charge.
Find an event to attend and make a difference in your community. If you can't make it to an event, the organizations are always accepting donations. Now is a great time to serve others and give them a better holiday season! You may also consider donating to one of these child-focused charities this holiday.