5 Stories of Pro Sports Teams Helping Local Charities
May 8, 2019 by Angie Long
When you think about a certain city or state, it is only natural to associate it with its sports teams. Whether the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB, professional teams tend to form an identity for their cities and have the ability to make a huge impact on the people that live there. But while you may tune in for the latest scores or buy the occasional game ticket, you may not realize that the team you follow is probably quite active in your community.
Here are just five examples of professional sports teams helping local charities. Don't forget to visit our list of featured causes for great charities to partner with throughout the year.
5 Pro Sports Teams and Charity
- Denver Broncos - The Denver Broncos have raised more than $18 million for various Colorado charities since 1996. That's an impressive number even if you're not a fan, and the team has inspired other professional sports teams to follow suit. The culture of giving is contagious, and even the players get involved. Recently, Von Miller and 20 other players donated $200,000 to a Colorado nonprofit to help keep police and firefighters safe when responding to mass shooting and active-shooter incidents.
- Milwaukee Bucks - In 2016, this NBA team established the Milwaukee Bucks Foundation to improve the outcomes for Wisconsin residents who are considered to be "underserved." Less than one year after its inception, the foundation donated $1 million, divided among 15 qualifying organizations. In addition, employees of the Milwaukee Bucks are allowed 16 hours of paid time to put toward volunteer work, showing that the organization really values Milwaukee and the people who live there.
- Baltimore Orioles - The MLB team's charitable foundation has donated over $10 million to a variety of organizations in the Baltimore area. In addition, the foundation recently teamed up with outfielder Adam Jones who donated $150,000 to a number of different nonprofits. That's just one example of Jones' heartwarming gestures as he also paid the travel expenses for a Washington DC little league team who couldn't afford to travel to a regional tournament they qualified for.
- Chicago Bears - Following the lead of the Milwaukee Bucks, and to celebrate their 100th season, the Chicago Bears have promised to donate $1 million in the form of 10 different $100,000 donations to charities nominated by fans. Applications can be submitted through May 31. Local nonprofits can also apply for nomination as long as they're within 75 miles of Chicago. Perhaps this charity effort will provide them with some good karma and they'll actually make the playoffs this year.
- Golden State Warriors - Sometimes a professional sports team's players choose a charity near and dear to them and use the team as a sounding board to make the public aware. Such is the case with phenomenon Steph Curry who donates money for each three-pointer he makes to a group called Nothing but Nets. The charity provides bed nets treated with insecticide to malaria-stricken regions.
Ongoing OfferClick "Show Coupon Code" To Activate This Deal. Exclusions May Apply
Next time you head to a game or tune in to one on TV, consider checking out your favorite team's fundraising efforts. While it can be hard to justify doling out money for a ticket when you consider how much team owners and players make, you can rest assured that the money will go to a good cause that benefits your community.