How to Give Back to Mexican Causes for Cinco de Mayo 2019
May 2, 2019 by Angie Long
Cinco de Mayo is coming up, and across the U.S., people see this day as an opportunity to celebrate the dynamic Mexican culture, regardless of their personal ethnic background. While it's easy to celebrate with a night out for tacos or drinking margaritas with friends, how many of us actually think about the needs of our southern neighbor while we're doing it?
If you're curious about ways to make a real impact on May 5, here are 10 great Mexican causes that could greatly benefit from a donation of any size! For more on charities we love, visit our page of charities we partner with throughout the year.
Mexican Causes for Cinco de Mayo 2019
- Save the Children - In Mexico, 15 out of every 1,000 children never see their 5th birthday. Poverty and violence have caused many families to seek asylum in the U.S., only to be separated at the U.S./Mexico border. Save the Children helps by strengthening those same communities families flee from, so they don't feel the urgent need to head illegally to the U.S. They provide protection, education and peace-building efforts while also ensuring that no child goes hungry.
- RAICES - The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services provides free and low-cost legal services to immigrant families and refugees in South and Central Texas. Its legal team combines their immigration law expertise with their passion for advocacy to help prevent families from being ripped apart at the border. RAICES also helps educate immigrants on the complicated process of becoming a U.S. citizen so they can do so legally.
- Mision Mexico - This registered charity in Mexico provides a loving and safe home for children who have been neglected, abused or abandoned. Children are referred to Mision Mexico by the Government Welfare Department, yet Mision Mexico receives zero financial support from the Mexican government. They rely solely on donations from people around the world committed to this generous cause.
- The Texas Civil Rights Project (TCRP) - Charity Navigator rated this charity four stars, which is the highest rating possible, and for good reason. The TCRP helps families at the U.S./Mexico border with translation services and legal advice. They also help reunite separated families and reform the criminal justice system. The charity also has the backing of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who has raised over $50,000 for the cause.
- TECHO - Did you know that 1 in 5 people in Latin America live in slums? This nonprofit organization focuses on eliminating poverty in Mexico and other parts of Latin America and the Caribbean. Their mission is to connect volunteers to poverty-stricken families in order to transform these slums into thriving communities.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - This organization has the backing of celebrities like John Legend, Chrissy Teigen and Tesla CEO Elon Musk. The ACLU has raised over $1 million to advocate for the release of families held at detention centers at the U.S./Mexico border. Although the ACLU isn't a charity in and of itself, it does have a foundation arm that you can donate to, which is tax-deductible.
- The Florence Project - Did you know that in the U.S., a person can be detained without the right to a public defender? Imagine being stuck in a foreign country without anyone to speak on your behalf. Also imagine being part of a family who was wrongly convinced that America would welcome them with open arms, then being stuck here without even knowing the language. These are frightening realities for immigrant families seeking a better life than what their country allows them. The Florence Project provides detained immigrants in Arizona with legal services so they can keep their families together while going through immigration removal proceedings.
- PVAngels - Specifically benefiting the residents in the Puerto Vallarta area, PVAngels has a goal of creating a community where people pull together to make their part of Mexico a better, safer place. It does this by combining fundraising with activity-driven events to create awareness about the environment, health care, education and many other issues in the area. Considering the fact that Puerto Vallarta is a popular vacation spot for American tourists, this is a great charity to consider if you want to ensure it stays that way.
- PEACE (Protection & Education: Animals, Culture and Environment) - This nonprofit organization works in the Bay of Banderas to increase economic and educational opportunities through community development programs. They focus on education, environment and animal health. What's unique about PEACE is that, in exchange for participation, community members receive household items and food.
- Feed the Hungry - This San Miguel charity aims to break the cycle of poverty and hunger in the poorest communities of the area. By alleviating hunger, they improve the overall health and well-being of children in San Miguel. Donations help fund school meals, community development programs and family nutritional education.
As you can see by now, Mexico has needs that can't be met without help from others. If you're considering ways to celebrate this beautiful country and its rich traditions on Cinco de Mayo, remember the charities listed above. Even a small contribution can go a long way!